Wednesday, January 14, 2009

I can't think of a good title

I don't usually talk about my "job" or what "I do" or whatever you want to call it, but here goes. I own a small baby boutique in my parent's town and a small baby clothing line. I know, I know you're screaming, but you have no babies (and none coming anytime soon I might add)! I seriously love everything babies. I must add that I inherited this trait from my mom who has been known to disappear from our table at a restaurant and come back 20 minutes later because she was holding some kiddo while the mom peed. She's the baby whisperer.

I won't go into great detail about the two, but the reason I am bringing this up to you is because you might have heard about the CPSIA law coming up in February. I won't go into great details. I'll refer you off to some folks that have some great info. out there on it below. But basically it's a law that will require serious testing on products made for children 12 and under. These products can run from toys, to outfits, to even personalized monogrammed burp rags. It doesn't matter if you sell in a big shopping mall, online, etsy or even just at a craft fair...everyone is affected by it. I have to first clarify that I have nothing against making sure we do our absolute best to ensure safety for our itty bitty ones. We need to keep at it, but we need to do it in a way that can keep the small businesses afloat. I'm not on etsy, but they have some adorably sweet baby items that I want to continue buying for gifts. I absolutely love the handmade look and feel. And I can't forget to add we are not in that economic state either, but we are all well aware of that.

Here are some great links I recommend if you want to learn more. There is some much out there and I've seriously sat reading all the legal stuff feeling like I should have gotten a Law degree, but these are very to the point.

Rocks in my Dryer's link

Cool Mom Picks

Handmade Toy Alliance

My prayer is that this can be done in a way that is beneficial all around. I may have to stop the clothing line and that's okay if it's what I need to do. It's filled with lots of hard work, but lots of great memories as well. I will be okay if that day comes...I am proud to say that I took out no loans and built up very slowly so I have no debt there so no worries there please. For the store I am hoping not to lose some of my favorite little companies that redfine the word precious! Oh the sweetness in their work makes my heart skip a beat!

Thank you friends for listening to my heart tonight!

8 comments:

Kelly said...

Someone e-mailed me about this recently and I have meant to mention it on my blog. Especially since I'm a huge fan of etsy for baby gifts.
I'm sad about your line - I'm so thankful you sent me that sweet onesie!

TheFancyFritter said...

I know! That would definitely be a bummer if that law passes through. I have a small business on Etsy selling baby items, so I would be sad if I had to stop. That is so fun that you own a boutique! That is what I would love to do! :) Baby stuff is so much fun!

Heather said...

OH I will be praying about this! I too love Etsy and I love your stuff :) My baby does too :)

Whitney said...

Oh my word! That is the funnest job ever!!!!
I will be praying about this for your shop and others out there.

Scrapper Mom said...

Hey, I just left a comment on your post about the bachelor, but I meant to leave it here. FYI

mk said...

You know I'm here if you need help in anyway. Love you!

Heather said...

Oh, PLEASE LORD, don't let it stop you from having your precious things! As soon as I know for sure that "baby girl" is indeed "baby girl"...I MUST have some more things!!! You bless people with your work!!!!

Natalie | Make Today Great said...

Oh honey! I'm so sorry -- how can they do this with the economy and everyone struggling already? It's not fair! Let me know what you need me to do?