Sunday, September 9, 2012

always an american girl

Recently while at my parent's house, mom came inside from getting the mail and said "you got something" and then handed me an American Girl catalog.

Apparently, American Girl hasn't received the memo that I graduated from middle school 14 years ago.  At first I was like what, should I be offended or maybe flattered, maybe they're trying to say something.

a. Maybe they were banking on me popping out little mini mes by now and were jumping on the next generation kind of thing.

b. Maybe they found out I watched the Kitt Kittredge: An American Girl movie a few years ago and know that I secretly loved it.

c. Maybe they had an early inkling that I'd be 28 with a 1st grade reading level and back living with my parent's collecting dolls.

d. My name just never got removed from the mailing list.

I'd like to think that the answer is D.  Yes, let's hope it's D.

So, I did what any normal 28 year old woman would do...and plopped down on the sofa and read it front to back. 

I got a little nostalgic flipping through it despite the fact that the characters I knew and loved didn't even fall under the historical catagory aka really old.  I didn't even see Samantha and Kirsten which is a crying shame because how else is one suppose to learn what a petifore is or about all the awesome Swedish holiday traditions. I said this to mom and her immediate response was "does this mean their worth more" which now means I need to make a trip up to her attic to retrieve my boxed up American Girl collection before she tries to cash in my childhood.

One thing I did notice that hasn't changed is the price.  I remember them being special and expensive, but to see the numbers from a mortgage paying citizen perspective good night!  It now makes since why Santa ran out of Samantha's deluxe bedroom set before hitting up our house.

A fun trip down memory lane though, anyone else still getting mail at their parent's house?  Maybe a Seventeen Magazine will finds it's way the next time I'm there.


1 comment:

Payton's mom said...

That is much better than receiving an AARP mailer at your parents house...trust me!
Love,
Christy