Thursday, April 24, 2008

What are you reading?

Okay, so I love to know what you all are reading. I think some of the best books I've read have been recommendations from friends. And in case you are looking for something to read also...well here is what I've read in the last two weeks, what I'm reading now and what is still lingering on my list to read.

Reading:
1. And the Shofar Blew by Francine Rivers- love this author and although I'm not too far into it I am really enjoying this book.
2. My Utmost for His Highest by Oswald Chambers- this is a devotional and I recently gave this to my dad who seemed to be enjoying it so I got it for us. Boy and I try to do one of the devotionals daily. Doesn't always happen, but we try. This will most definitely get you asking questions and thinking. Love reading this with boy!

Just read:
1. Pretty is What Changes by Jessica Queller- My cousin just gave me this book this past weekend. I dropped my other reads and started on it right away because I thought it was cool the author was a television writer and has written for "Gilmore Girls" and "One Tree Hill". Needless to say I finished it at 4:00 in the morning two days later. I will not lie, it's a very difficult read if you've dealt personally with breast cancer. I sobbed many times thinking of my grandmother, aunt, and friends that have all been effected by cancer. It really opened my eyes to the medical side of it as the author is tested and found to have the BRCA gene mutation. A lot to take in, but an incredible read of this author's courageous journey. I'd love to know any of your thoughts on the BRCA test and how it may apply scripturally.
2. The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini- I finally got around to reading this after it had been on my list for a year. Amazing story of friendship and love. Be sure to read it though before you rent the movie, they sort of leave off some parts from the book.

Want to read:
1. Things I Want my Daughter to Know by Elizabeth Noble
2. The Year of Fog by Michelle Richmond
3. How to Be Lost by Amanda Eyre Ward
Oh this list could seriously go on and on, but I'll leave it at that for now.

Any recommendations of what you've recently read be sure to add.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

My favorite novel ever is Yann Martel's "Life of Pi." It's where I got "The Cheek of God" from. Since you are interested in spiritual things (assumed since you're reading Chambers) you can't do any better. It's about a young boy raised in India who has a very interesting adventure aboard a lifeboat inhabited by a Bengal tiger named Richard Parker. There's much to think about after reading this one. I've read it about once a year since it came out and always glean something new.

Another personal favorite is Michael Chabon's "The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay." It's about two cousins who create a comic book hero, back when comics were becoming all the rage. It's an epic tale of learning to live amidst chaos and upheaval. It's long, but the mental exercise is well rewarded. It won the Pulitzer several years back, and you'll enjoy it.

For non-fiction, and again assuming you like spiritual things, there's an old book by John Fischer titled "Making Real What I Already Believe." John was a founding father of Contemporary Christian Music out in California, very spiritual-minded. Then he uprooted his family and moved to the East Coast, leading to a spiritual awakening of sorts. His story resonates with me on so many levels - even after all these years. He's the real deal, and I hope you'll agree. Good luck findiing that one, however. I do believe it's been out of print for some time, although I do see that amazon has several availabe through their used sellers, starting at a mere penny! It's worth far more than that.

That's a start. I read a bunch and post reviews of favorites on my blog quite a bit.

Read on . . .

Kristin said...

Hi, I found your blog through Kelly's Korner.

I picked up "The Shofar Blew" at the library, but had to return it before I was finished. I really need to pick it up again!

If you like fun British chick lit, try "The Undomesticated Goddess". Very fun, quick read.

a boy a girl and a pug said...

Cheek of God- I'm going too add those to me list thanks for the recommendations!

Kristin- thanks for stopping by. I LOVED "The Undomestic Goddess"! Kinsella has some of my favorite fun reads!

Allikaye's Mama said...

Also reading "Utmost for His Highest"- love it- so inspiring!A great book is "The Glass Castle" - really good! Thanks for your suggestions - and its fun to read the comments your getting too!!

Anonymous said...

So glad you liked Pretty. ;o)

mandy said...

LOVE me some francine!!!!
i think i've read 'em all.