Saturday, August 4, 2007

Do they make support groups for people like me?


Hi my name is girl and I'm addicted to Dr. Pepper.

I blame it on my mom really. She was never the coffee drinker in the house so her caffeine was a glass of coke each morning. I'd always beg for a few sips on my way to school each morning as a little kid. Then when I gained some freedom in childhood, soft drinks became my drink of choice at resturants, movies and stock piled in our fridge. When I started driving I kept the pop tradition and my breakfast consisted of a hearty ice cold glass of Dr. Pepper on my way to high school. If you haven't been able to tell yet, I'm not a health nut and I probably bleed Dr. Pepper I drink it that much!

Well my pop habits have only increased. I felt once you say "I Do" and are strapped to a mortgage payment you are free to guzzle down as many bubbly pops as your heart desires with anyone telling you "no".

I've been convicted dear friends, a recent news show hounded the horrible effects down my throat and boy and I really began praying about this luxury we cling too. Okay well my luxury...boy has more self control then me. We really have no total proof of a full and healthy lifetime of avid coke drinkers. Even if you ask your parents or grandparents, Pop was a special treat that was drunken only on rare occassions and way back when refridgerators were not manufactured with convenient pop storage built in. So it's a rather scary deal to be one of the first to drink cokes from a sippy cup and with such frequency. Therefore, I don't want to risk it. I want to be healthy and not consistently feeling the need to stop by Chik-fil-a or Sonic for an iced cold soda (they do have the best with the yummy ice and styrofoam cups that even keep them cold for hours in this Texas heat).

Today is the first day I have not had one. So far so good. Yesterday, I went to the grocery store and purchased 2 gallons worth of water botles, 4 liters of grape cranberry juice, 2 cartons of milk and 4 packets of kool-aid. On my way home I swung by Whataburger for my last drink...I ordered 1 large and 1 medium Dr. Pepper. You should have seen the glea in my eyes as the cashier handed them to me with such loving care. She even made the comment "boy you sure like dr. pepper". I responded back in tears, "you don't even know the half of it".

So, Dr. Pepper, it is time we part. I will miss you more than you ever know. We have spent some wonderful memories together!! Take care!

2 comments:

Shelly said...

LOL! I am the SAME way! Okay wait...I don't have it for breakfast or anything, but I have definitely partaken too much of it. And the Lord brought me under conviction with it too. I go through seasons where I'll still drink too much of it (or other sugary-carbonated drinks), but I feel so much better when I'm drinking more water like I should. You'll be amazed at the difference your body will feel!
I'm not exactly the health freak either, but I'm trying to at least make some steps in that direction for the sake of my temple! Let me know how it goes :)

Overwhelmed! said...

Oh, I like Dr. Pepper too, but I'm not addicted to it. Good luck on giving it up! :)

I'm stopping by to let you know, I’m hosting my second Pay It Forward Book Exchange giveaway. There are 7 other book giveaways linked up thus far in my post too, so there are lots of opportunities to win! Stop by for more details!