Thursday, July 26, 2012

olympic dreaming

In 1992, at the age of 8, my friends and I had it all figured out what we were going to do with our lives.

Become Olympic gymnasts/swimmers/ice skaters.  A triple threat sort of skill going on.

We had some big dreams going on in our little neighborhood.  But that's the best part of growing up with a big imagination.  Lots of awesome memories holding backyard competitions and handing out handmade construction paper medals weighed down in elmer's glue and glitter.

Um, yeah so the Olympics never came calling.

I'd say the reality of hitting way over 5 ft by the 5th grade, my definite fear of heights and the fact that I'd much rather spend my free time playing Barbie's didn't help.

I'm so excited for the opening ceremony tomorrow.  My family and I were able to go to the 1996 Atlanta games and the energy and excitement of the crowds has stayed with me after all these years even watching it from home.  I'd love to be able to see another games some day. 

In the meantime, I hear they have a speed walking event and even a trampoline competition so maybe there's still hope yet ha!

2 comments:

flip flops on lex said...

So excited! I missed the Beijing Opening Ceremony and have always regretted it. I don't know that I'll be able to watch the entire thing tomorrow night but I'm going to try!

Let's catch up soon!

tessie said...

I was just reading another blog- Between naps on the Porch. Her post had pugs in it and I thought that you might get a kick out of it. Cindy

http://betweennapsontheporch.net/the-big-wedding-a-peek-inside-this-beautiful-lake-house/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+BetweenNapsOnThePorch+%28BETWEEN+NAPS+ON+THE+PORCH%29

-- Shared using Google Toolbar